The Ghan: Adelaide to Alice Springs
30 July - 1 August 2016
Luxury train travel, like cruising, is having a renaissance. Join us on this iconic journey from Adelaide to Alice Springs – through rolling green pastures, desert dunes, past remote outback towns to the Red Centre of Australia. All this, while enjoying the comforts of the world-famous Ghan and savouring the best of South Australian produce and wines.
Saturday 30 July 2016
Make your own way to the Adelaide Hilton Hotel which is ideally situated overlooking Victoria Square, at the heart of the city’s entertainment, shopping and dining precincts. The Central Market, Chinatown and Gouger Street - Adelaide’s most vibrant dining destinations - are just minutes from your hotel.
Accommodation: Adelaide Hilton Hotel
Sunday 31 July 2016
After breakfast at the hotel enjoy a tour of the highlights of Adelaide which is surrounded by parklands and has a blend of historic buildings, wide streets, cafés and restaurants. Drive past Adelaide's cultural precinct - North Terrace, the National Wine Centre, Adelaide Botanic Gardens and the beautiful Botanic Park, home to the Bicentennial Conservatory and the Adelaide Zoo. Continue through historic North Adelaide, where you'll see tree-lined streets, mansions and historic buildings. Stop and visit the iconic St Peters Cathedral or the newly re-developed Adelaide Oval. We then travel through the city's east on the way to the Haigh's Chocolates’ Visitor Centre for a factory tour and tastings of this famous South Australian chocolate. Return to the city via the South Parklands, West Terrace and North Terrace.
Then we go to the Rail Station to check ón to the Ghan for your journey to Alice Springs.
After acquainting yourself with your Gold Service private ensuite cabin, make your way to the classic Queen Adelaide dining car to enjoy a delicious lunch including wine. On your journey, marvel as the spectacular Flinders Ranges disappear into the horizon. Watch the rolling pastoral lands of South Australia merge into the rugged mallee scrub. Mingle with fellow travellers in the lounge car for afternoon tea.
As darkness falls savour a gourmet dinner showcasing the best of South Australian produce and wines.
You might like to have a couple of drinks at the bar before settling in to your cabin for the night.
Accommodation: The Ghan
Monday 1 August 2016
Wake up with a coffee or juice and witness an unforgettable outback sunrise at our morning stop in the outback town of Marla in the remote reaches of SA. Stand by the railway line and watch the tracks disappear in a straight line towards both the southern and northern horizons.
This really is the Red Centre! We cross the Finke River and, in due course, arrive in Alice Springs. Bid farewell to your luxury home on wheels and transfer to your hotel to meet up with the main conference group.
Train Information and Cabin Configuration
Gold Service evokes the romance of a bygone age and still includes everything you would expect in a contemporary travel experience. From a complimentary welcome reception glass of bubbly, wine, beer of soft drink in the lounge to the linen tablecloths in the dining car, this is adventuring in style!
Gold Service guests can choose from either Twin or Single Sleeper Cabin accommodation.
• By day, the compact Twin Berth Sleeper Cabins offer a comfortable three seater lounge, converting to an upper and lower sleeping berth at night.
• Twin Berth Sleeper Cabins have private en suite facilities with a hide-away compact toilet, wash
• basin and shower.
• Single Berth Sleeper Cabins feature a comfortable lounge chair and foot rest by day and a single level sleeping berth by night.
• Single Cabins are fitted with a wash basin. Showers and toilets are located at either end of the Gold Service carriage.
• Lounge converts to an upper and lower sleeping berth at night (Twin Cabin only)
• Fully serviced with fresh sheets, pillows and quilts
• Complimentary amenities, welcome kit and fresh bath towels are provided
• 3 pin/ 240 volt power point, wardrobes, full length mirror, reading lamp and foldaway table
• Private ensuite in twin cabins featuring compact toilet, wash basin and shower
• Single cabins feature wash basin, with shared toilet and shower facilities located at the end of each carriage
Gold Service Twin Cabin
Gold Service Single Cabin
SPACES ARE STRICTLY LIMITED:
PRE TOUR: 35 PEOPLE
MAIN CONFERENCE: 60 PEOPLE
POST TOUR: 30 PEOPLE